Keyontae Johnson updates: Florida Gators star stable and breathing on his own after collapsing, parents say

By Adam Silverstein
December 15, 2020
Keyontae Johnson updates: Florida Gators star stable and breathing on his own after collapsing, parents say

Image Credit: GatorsMBK / Twitter

Florida Gators junior forward Keyontae Johnson is now in stable condition, breathing on his own and speaking three days after collapsing during a college basketball game, his parents shared with the public through the athletic program on Tuesday. Johnson has been hospitalized since Saturday morning after he passed out on the court four minutes into a game against Florida State in Tallahassee, Florida.

“We feel so much love and support from everyone, and we’re beyond grateful for the care and attention that Keyontae has received throughout this past several days,” Nika and Marrecus Johnson stated, noting that their son even got an opportunity to FaceTime with his Gators teammates.

Keyontae Johnson was awoken from medically induced coma on Monday and said to have been following simple commands. He was transferred to UF Health in Gainesville that day after spending two days at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital where he was listed as in critical but stable condition.

No specifics have been provided as to what caused Johnson’s medical incident, though his parents promised to “continue to share updates about Keyontae’s health and progress,” saying they appreciate “how much people love and care for him.”

On Tuesday, Florida announced that it has postponed Wednesday’s game with North Florida as the program continues to recover mentally and emotionally from Johnson’s incident. Sources told Monday that Saturday’s game was in doubt, though if Johnson’s condition continues to improve, perhaps the Gators will feel well enough to play.

“We appreciate all the medical personnel who have helped Keyontae,” said Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin on Sunday. “Keyontae received terrific care on site by the FSU staff and at Tallahassee Memorial, which has worked in consultation with UF Health. We’re glad his parents can be by his side, and they all feel the support of Gator Nation.”

Johnson, the SEC Preseason Player of the Year, completed an alley-oop dunk ahead of a media timeout during the Florida State game. According to the Gators radio broadcast, Johnson was walking to the top of the arc after breaking the huddle when he fell face-first and laid unconscious on the court.

Footage played by ESPN later Saturday during a college football broadcast showed Johnson’s eyes open on the court but closed on the stretcher. He had a bloody scrape on the right side of his chin, presumably from falling on the hardwood.

Play was delayed for a few minutes while the Gators huddled with many players crying. Head coach Mike White led the team in a prayer, and it appears to have been a team decision to continue playing. White and the team’s head athletic trainer remained in Tallahassee through the weekend.

Join The

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux